Monday, May 01, 2006

I had to let it happen

I had to change...

I've finally had my birthday party. It wasn't the big event that I thought it might be but then maybe having a wedding three years ago has taken it out of me. I didn't even advertise it as my birthday party but I did get a present from one of my high school friends on the day which was very special.

So, officially, I am 30.

It's not too bad, really. I have my health, all of my teeth, a wonderful husband and a d*mn fine group of friends, a healthy mortgage, a job I enjoy, and some spare cash to spend on myself every so often.

I guess that's why when my Mum asked me what I wanted for my birthday I couldn't really think of anything spectacular to ask for to mark the occasion. Same with my sisters. My beautiful Nanna gave me a scratchie (a lotto or pools card where you scratch off a plastic-silver covering to see whether you have won a cash prize) and some cash (a modest amount) which I still have not spent. I was planning to use it to buy a ticket to see The Lion King in Melbourne but I really think I've missed the boat with that one. I'll just have to fly to Perth to see it now!

I am happy to say that I have managed to catch a couple of shows at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. I have missed out on tickets to see Lano & Woodley for the last time and I am kicking myself, but have managed to grab tickets to Tripod and Adam Hills next Friday night and I'm rather happy with that. I managed to catch the first taping of the ABC's The Glass House for free (no, I don't mean by watching it on television) due to having a friend in high places - I clapped so much that my hands hurt and smiled/laughed so much that my face hurt. It's what you want from a comedy show, really.

I have to admit that Logan and I went to see "D-Cuppettry" as well. Not my thing, really, and I have no plans to ever see the male equivalent (despite an invitation from my parents one year to see it with them *shudder*) but it was entertaining and we had "Tight*rse Tuesdays" tickets so it was a good 'n' cheap night out. Logan said that his face hurt from laughing/smiling but I felt only that it was entertaining enough and not particularly laugh-out-loud funny. The ladies were consummate performers and their breasts were considered by the audience as merely an appendage, like an arm or a leg, which is down to the matter-of-fact atmosphere in which they presented their all-singing, all-dancing, topless puppettry. Good on them for doing the show and de-mystifying the female mammary glands.

Another nice thing that has happened is that a Performance Bonus has arrived in my bank account with my regular pay this fortnight. Yay, me. It's great to be rewarded for doing a job well that you enjoy. (Bevis, take note...)

Couldn't stay all my life down at heel

1 Comments:

Blogger noshie said...

I wanna go to tha comedy festival!!! Adie and I haven't missed Tripod in over 5 years. Maybe it was time for a break. A chance to do something different.
Noshie

5/05/2006 08:46:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home