Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I See You Watching Me Watching You

M-M-M-My Sharona...

Is is just me or is there a plethora of new bands recycling older material?

Even Madonna's doing it. She's using ABBA's Gimme, Gimme,Gimme A Man After Midnight (I could have the lyrics wrong; I admire ABBA but I'm not a hard core fan).

There's the Rogue Traders' new one which has the riff from My Sharona.

It's not only pop songs that are being plagiarised. There's another one that I can't quite bring to mind at the moment that used something from a ballet score (I think it was Romeo & Juliet). If anyone can think of it, please feel free to post a comment. It is a female vocalist and I think she is Australian.

Is it truly a new song if your main theme is a sample from another's work? Is that cheating?

..And I'm waiting for you again, yes I'm waiting for you...

6 Comments:

Blogger BEVIS said...

Happy birthday, Riss! :)

3/16/2006 05:58:00 pm  
Blogger elaine said...

happy birthday, riss!

About the pop songs. If music is sampled and used in a new way to create something different, I'm all for it. They do this a lot in hip hop and other electronic music. Sometimes well and sometimes poorly.

But if it's just blatant ripping off a la Vanilla Ice, it's all wrong.

3/17/2006 09:43:00 am  
Blogger Melba said...

happy birthday riss!

on the subject of pavlovas: my dearly departed grandmother did a great, nay the BEST, pavlova. it was coffee and had a rum cream. for the last 10 years i have been searching for the recipe. my aunt doesn't have it. it's NOT in the drawer down at the barwon heads house, my father doesn't have it. neither stephanie, nor nigella nor jamie nor google have it. but i found it in my mother's recipe book. this is very very good for our family. i'm not a huge pav fan ordinarily but this is a pavlova to make the angels sing.

3/17/2006 10:27:00 am  
Blogger Tuppence said...

Happy birthday, Riss! Hope you have a wonderful day.

3/17/2006 11:07:00 am  
Blogger Adam said...

Happy Birthday Riss! Wahoo!

3/17/2006 06:49:00 pm  
Blogger Riss said...

Wow, thanks everyone. I did have to work so I'm postponing the "celebration". There will be pav involved when I do. :)

3/17/2006 09:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home