Friday, December 09, 2005

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon

When we're poisoning pigeons in the park...

Let me introduce you to Tom Lehrer.

Tom -this is You. You - this is Tom.

There, that's better.

I discovered Tom Lehrer's music and wondrous talents while channel surfing on my car radio one day some years ago. I immediately wrote his name down and then the next time I went to Allans I looked for and bought some of the sheet music he had written.

An intelligent mathematician with a wonderful satirical view of the world that he magnificently put into songs with such titles as Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, I Hold Your Hand In Mine, and The Masochism Tango followed closely by such gems as The Elements (to the tune of "The Major-General's Song" from Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance), and The Vatican Rag.

The Melbourne Theatre Company will be performing the revue entitled Tomfoolery - The Words and Music of Tom Lehrer in November and December next year and I heartily recommend attendance.

I'll be there - anyone want to come along?

Every Sunday you'll see
My sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home