Saturday, December 31, 2005

Dumb Show

I went to the theatre on Thursday night. I went to the Melbourne Arts Centre's Fairfax Studio to see a performance by the Melbourne Theatre Company (see my links) of "Dumb Show" and I enjoyed it. There were a few swear words but nothing like the ones that were in "The Big Con" which had considerable negative impact on my liking for that show. I was happy to be going along to that one as at least I could say that I disliked it after seeing it and forming my own opinion. But enough about that.

I went to see "Dumb Show" on my own which is not that big a deal. I have been going to performances at the Arts Centre since I was nine so I am very comfortable in the precinct. I enjoy the walk down to Southgate and the amazing shops and restaurants that can be found in that strip. I have even performed as part of a massed choir in the Concert Hall before it was known as Hamer Hall.

My other half insisted that I park in the undercover car park on Thursday which cost about $10 the last time I looked. I was happy to park outside for free but he didn't want me to be out walking the streets of Melbourne on my own after dark.

You would probably expect, as I did, that the audience would be predominantly over 50 and you would be right. I didn't overhear much discussion of the performance but one lady behind me was admiring the shoes of the actress. At first hearing it sounded like "boobs" but I'm sure it was " lovely pair of shoes" and not the other. Positive.

The next show in the season is "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" which is a musical; a new musical. The performances begin close to my Mum's birthday in January and she likes the theatre also so it has been arranged that we will be attending as a group. With a little dinner beforehand it should be a very nice evening.

Happy New Year to all. May 2006 be as good a year if not better than the one that has preceeded it.

P.S. I have been reading too much Jane Austen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home