Monday, January 02, 2006

It's Delightful

It's Delicious...

I have what I think are chemical burns on my fingers. I took my nail polish off two days ago and the top layer of skin on my index and middle fingers on both hands feels odd. The pads are a little shiny and I seem to have lost a bit of sensation. There was some swelling but it seems to have gone down now. I think I should buy some new Nail Polish Remover and throw my current batch away. It may be safer.

My other half thought that he wasn't going back to work until Wednesday this week but has been brought to the unfortunate realisation that Tuesday is not a public holiday and neither has he requested leave so he will be returning to his place of daily torture earlier than he realised. Poor thing. At least he may be able to get a good night's sleep before he has to hop on that early-morning train to the city.

Hasn't the temperature the last few days been over the top? scorching? strength-sapping? diabolical? I'm glad we don't have to put up with 42-degree days very often (we're talking Celcius here). Makes me realise that I will most likely never move to Alice Springs where they experience these temperatures many times throughout the year. The worst was that at 1:00am on the first of January it was still 38 degrees and remained above 30 in my bedroom until I woke up at about 8:00am and had to turn on the air conditioning to be able to sleep more comfortably. I would have been quite happy to sleep the whole night (morning) with it turned on but my other half is noise-sensitive so I stayed awake reading for as long as I could to maximise the effect of the air conditioning that was cooling down the room so that I could get off to sleep. I started falling asleep myself and realised that I needed to get up and turn the unit off, the thought of which was painful. When I roused later and realised that Logan had left the room I made the effort to get up and flick that magic switch. Aah, sweet relief.

I am so very glad that it was not a work day as it would have been absolutely unbearable in my building where the designers neglected to include in their calculations the temperature of an Australian summer. I am not looking forward to the next few months, temperature-wise, at work for this reason.

We have been taking advantage of the data projector that I borrowed from work over the last week. It is a wonderful thing to sit in a darkened and air conditioned room while DVDs of your (other half's) choice are projected onto the wall in front of you. We have shown "Sirens", the first episode of "The Dukes of Hazzard", "The Mothman Prophecies", "The Fifth Element" (my DVD, his choice), "She" and "Sin City". It has been a Holiday Present of sorts and when I return to work we will be able to change the lounge and dining room back to some semblance of normality.

The Christmas Tree is coming down today and I'm pretty happy with the way it has behaved over the last month. The big question now is whether my other half will be able to let go of our previous tree and set it out for hard waste pick-up...

It's De-Lovely...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home